About the Gulf Coast Benefit Concerts
In the spirit of Independence Day, nationwide concerts were hosted by music venues on July 1st, 2010 to benefit those directly impacted by the Gulf Coast Oil Spill.
On August 25, we're at it again -- this time hosting a nationwide series of fundraising meetups to benefit Catholic Charities of New Orleans. Proceeds will go directly to education for the children of fishermen hit hard by the spill.
The organizers created an ambitious goal: Gather music venues around the country to donate ticket sales on July 1st and create an online giving platform that encourages donations to the relief efforts. On the evening of July 1, over 80 concerts and awareness meetings helped raise nearly $50,000 through ticket sales, raffles and online donations. All proceeds were directed to our nonprofit partner the Gulf Restoration Network, which provides assistance to the people, wildlife and wetlands affected as well as advocacy work throughout the Gulf Coast.
The organizers of the event included: Nic Adler, owner of The Roxy on the Sunset Strip; Megan Jacobs of The Roxy, Casey Phillips, talent buyer for venues including Tipitina’s in New Orleans and Viper Room & The Mint in Los Angeles, and Sloane Berrent, founder of Answer With Action and creator of The Causemopolitan.
"We know through music and the generosity of people that we can help make a difference in the Gulf Coast." said Adler before the event. "We hope this inspires others to make a donation, attend an event and get involved."
The wetlands and wildlife are in desperate need of our attention now and can’t wait for BP to take care of those in need. Many of our fellow Americans in the foreseeable future will have no livelihood, are preparing to leave their homes and are now lining up for food handouts. With hurricane season on the horizon, there is reason for great concern and it’s crucial the affected communities be prepared for the worst.
View the press release announcing the Gulf Coast Benefit Concerts on Pitch Engine.
List of press about the Gulf Coast Benefit Concerts:
- Mashable, How the Gulf Coast Benefit is Using Social Media to Rally Support
- Huffington Post, Nic Adler: Gulf Coast Benefits July 1st Unite Us in Gulf Coast Recovery
- CNN iReport, On July 1st: national music event to benefit Gulf Coast
- Huffington Post, THE SKINNY: Gulf Coast Benefit Concert
- Live Earth, Get Involved in the Gulf Coast Benefit Concerts on July 1!
- The Causemopolitan, Nationwide Gulf Benefit Concerts July 1st to Benefit Gulf Restoration Network
- Antiquiet, Nationwide Gulf Coast Benefit Concerts Set For July 1
- Fayetteville Flyer, Gulf Coast benefit at George’s on July 1
- The Causemopolitan, Groundswell Growing for Gulf Coast Benefit Concerts Thursday
- The Causemopolitan, Gulf Tides: BP’s Oil Hits Home
- Socialbrite, Tonight! Attend a Gulf Coast music benefit
- LAist, Rock Out to Benefit Gulf Coast Oil Spill Victims Tonight
- The Causemopolitan, TONIGHT! Gulf Coast Benefits Unite Us For Good
- What Gives, Tonight! Gulf Coast Benefit for Fisherman and Wildlife
- Surfer Mag, Rebelution Plays Gulf Coast Benefit Show at The Roxy July 1, 2010
- BrandChannel, Gulf Fundraiser Rocks Social Media
- Washington Post Online, Creativity for a cause
- Guide to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Gulf Coast Benefit Concert
- NOLA.com, Essencefest, the 4th of July and a Gulf Coast benefit highlight the week ahead
- The Gambit, Tipitina's Gulf Coast Benefit
- Bandsintown, Coast to Coast concerts to clean up the Gulf!
- KROQ Radio, Santa Barbara’s Rebelution To Play Gulf Coast Benefit Show
- WWOZ New Orleans Music Show with George Ingmire, June 30
- WWL Morning Show, New Orleans, July 1st (Video)
- Paisley Petunia, Rock out for the Gulf Coast
- LA Online Marketing Examiner, The Gulf Coast Benefit website: riding it right
- Taylor Davidson, #RocktheSpill with the Gulf Coast Benefit Concert Series
- Taylor Davidson, Rocking the Gulf Oil Spill, New Orleans, Louisiana
Gulf Coast Benefit Team Organizers
Contact Sloane Berrent (email@example.com) for press inquiries, how to get involved with future events, and how to create your own fundraising campaign.